Ignorance isn't bliss for those around it

Sorry for another late blog post, but the past couple of weeks have been a bit crazy. A few weekends ago I was at work when a table had a conversation with me, and I want to share it. At first, I just laughed at the ignorance of what was being said, but after I shared it with my coworkers, I realized how insulted some of them felt for me. I'm not offended by ignorance, or by advice from ignorant people, I can't be or I wouldn't have a job.

So, first, some background. In the restaurant where I work, there are close to 90 TVs and the radio is always on. Most of the time there are several different sports channels on the TVs and some sort of music is over the speakers. On Sundays, each TV has a football game on and the Bills game (or most popular team) is being played over the radio.

After serving the food, and while clearing plates and garbage from surrounding tables, my table starts talking to me. There are two women in their 60s as well as an older gentlemen.

Table: Does all of this ever get to you? You know, the TVs and the music?

Me: Sometimes, but most days I don't pay attention to it anymore.

Table: You should go get an education and get out of the restaurant business.

Me: Well, I actually have a Master's degree.

Table: Really? And you still work here?

Me: Yes, I finished my program this past December and have applied to over 45 jobs since January.

Table: Oh wow. You're so young-looking, too!

Me: Yeah. I have my Bachelor's from Ithaca College and my Master's from UofR. I'm 24, so I'm hoping to find something soon to start my career.

Table: Oh.

Me: Yeah, the job market is really tough.

Table: Oh, you'll find a job eventually. You'll find a job when you look older. You look so young!

The new running joke at work is that we should all get an education. Funny, but not really.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#CSAM18 Day 29: The Four S’s of Transition

#CSAM16 Day 16: Development of Mexican American Identity

#CSAM18 Day 10: Kolb and Learning Styles