New job thoughts

I started a new job on Monday. I have been asking a lot of questions, trying to connect an equal number of loose ends. So far, I have two analogies.

First: My thought process reminds me of this (light?) switch we had in our old house. It was in the kitchen, to the right of the sink. It was a series of three or four switches, we knew were all of the switches went except for one. We knew it was wired, and it was hot, but we had absolutely no idea what the switch connected to. We lived in that house for EIGHT YEARS. Left without knowing.

This is what it's been like chasing some of my questions. A question leads to an "I don't know" to a "let's talk to Susie" to "we do it because of a conversation with Jane 45 million years ago" to "ok, what do we actually *need* to do and who do we ask about it?" I know I'll have more questions. I know I don't know enough to present solutions. I still have no idea what I don't know.

Second: It's like someone built a barn and it was on fire. My job is to clean out the ash, inventory what was in the barn, figure out if we need to replace the stuff, and how to rebuild the barn (and we might not need a barn, maybe we need something else entirely). Right now, four days in, I've begun to find the stuff but also realize some of the stuff was broken and other stuff is way out of place. Some of the stuff is perfectly good, just needs to be dusted off.

I've also started journaling as I process, think of questions, and try to make connections between things. Additionally, I'm taking notes from a book I'm reading in there, too. But that's a different blog post all together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#CSAM18 Day 29: The Four S’s of Transition

#CSAM16 Day 16: Development of Mexican American Identity

Retention