(D)inner conversations

From what I've been told, dinner at my parents' house can be difficult. Not because the food is bad or there isn't enough wine. It's how we talk, how we connect conversations, how we link things or ideas together that most people don't understand. My husband has told me that during the first few family dinners, he strategically kept his mouth full so he wouldn't have to participate.

Now that I have a lot of alone time, I've realized I have those same dinner conversations in my head. The topics don't always line up in a logical way, but they make sense to me, and would probably make sense if I spent the time explaining how they are linked. Here's a fun example of the past few minutes of thinking (in the order in which it was thought). I've removed some of the really off-hand stuff, like it's almost time for bed, I need to fill and freeze the kongs, and I wish Washington would calm down already.

  1. I read "Congratulations Graduate; Eleven Reasons Why I Won't Hire You"
  2. Social media skills helped me land my current job
  3. People rarely find me on LinkedIn 
  4. Do I blame them? no, it's a poorly designed platform
  5. What do people think of me when they follow me on Twitter?
  6. I should probably check out the last bunch of my tweets
  7. This is all stuff I would say in person
  8. I should probably tweet this
  9. It's more of a blog post thought
  10. I have to remember to call the Dr tomorrow
  11. Twitter is authentically me, would I want someone who can't accept that to hire me?
  12. Granted, it's only a part of me, only a small piece of my life
  13. But I like it that way 
  14. Is that really authentic?
  15. What do I care what other people think? I'm not looking for a job
  16. What kinds of jobs am I missing if I'm not looking?
  17. I need to build experience before I look for another job
  18. Am I building enough experience? Is doing the administrative side of advising, without actually advising enough?
  19. Am I ever going to find a professional job?
  20. Can't worry about that tonight
  21. It's definitely time for bed

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#CSAM18 Day 29: The Four S’s of Transition

#CSAM16 Day 16: Development of Mexican American Identity

Retention