Reflections on 2013

As this year comes to a close, I want to share some reflections on 2013. I’ve worked hard to make them positive. Some of them were harder than others to make positive. I’ve also added in a few “hopes” (not resolutions!) for 2014. This isn’t an exhaustive list (nor is it in any particular order), just some of the items that made 2013 the year it was.


  • I miss using my brain, but when I started reading for fun again I remembered what it was like to relax. I hope I can continue to make progress on and time for things that make me happy.
  • The universe talks to us, we just have to listen and be brave enough to take the jump.  I’m hoping to listen to it more.
  • I still love watching student succeed. I might not be a professional in Student Affairs, but I love the field and the work we do. I love the change we can make in this world.
  • My husband is a kind, hard-working person who cares a lot about me. We’ve had a seriously questionable year, but we’ve made it through it. We joke that we get too far ahead of ourselves, too many things go well, and sometimes we catch a break. Othertimes we put too many mashed potatoes down the disposal and clog a major drain in the basement.
  • Twitter is amazing. I’ve met so many awesome professionals this year via Twitter. They pick me up when I’m down and although I can’t go to conferences, I can still see what’s happening thanks to back channels. This amazing piece of technology has helped to keep me sane this year. If you want to learn more, feel free to lurk for a bit and look up #sachat.
  • The job search is hard and maybe a tad on the unethical side. There are no hacks. The stuff out there to help job seekers doesn’t really apply to our field. But, people are thinking about this and thinking can lead to doing (people are thinking a lot about this on Twitter, fyi). I hope I find a professional position in 2014 so I can continue growing into this career.
  • I’m thankful for my (small) family. I can call my sister when I need a laugh, my dad when I get lost, and my mom when I need to complain. My in-laws are always there if I need help with something. They are a network all on their own.
  • “Family dinners” on Sunday. They may not be actual family, but we can put together some pretty cool food together to celebrate Sunday nights.
  • Students are amazing. They can reach amazing goals with the right support. Sometimes they just need a microwave to heat up their lunch.
  • I can continue to learn and grow. I’m using my resources to continue my research. I’ve taken feedback to adjust to the culture of my work place. I’ve met many professionals across campus and have utilized campus resources.
  • The animals in my life keep me grounded. Daisy was a huge influence on how I act and how patient I am. Each of the cats (even Franklin, who belongs to my roommate) has their own personalities and they aren’t afraid to be who they are. They remind me to take it one day at a time and that sometimes a nap really is the best solution.
  • The weight I have lost, the strength I’ve gained to fight my back pain, and the carpal tunnel have all played a part this year. I have some more weight to lose, more strength to gain, and pain to manage, but I can do it. I have an amazing husband who is willing to carry the laundry baskets and chop potatoes when I’m in too much pain, and that makes all the difference. I also have a fantastic physical therapist and very helpful roommate, they shouldn't be left out of this one.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#CSAM18 Day 29: The Four S’s of Transition

#CSAM16 Day 16: Development of Mexican American Identity

Retention